Monday, May 31, 2010

Earth's Sorcerer Supreme... Dr. Strange!











Hey All!

Here's my newest. He started out as a Marvel Universe Iron Fist figure. He has a modified Broken Arrow toys head cast (I sculpted the hair and mustache), a belt/ sash from a Hand Ninja, and a skirt from an Obi Wan Kenobi figure. The tunic detail is sculpted with Fixit Sculpt and the cape is made of Fixit Sculpt, styrene, a bedsheet, and some white glue. The technique was a real breakthrough for me as I have been struggling over how to craft rigid, realistic looking capes for sometime now. This technique takes an important aspect of super hero customizing that I used to find very limited (I really hated hunting around for capes for these figures and never being able to find one that worked the way I wanted) and opens the door up wide to limitless possibilities. If there is interest I will do a tutorial on how to make these capes when I work up my next custom.
I'm really happy with the results here... this is by far my favorite custom to date! A very special thanks to my lovely and talented wife who introduced me to the technique for the cape and to her and her dear friend April who helped me troubleshoot it and who put up with my cursing and my tantrums when it wasn't working out. I hope you enjoy him and as always... comments are welcome and appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. WOW... just wow!
    You really out did yourself this time.
    I think it would be great if you did a tutorial on the technique you used for the cape.
    And your wife is awesome for showing you that technique.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, the wife is pretty cool. I was just sitting around bustin' a blood vessel trying to figure out how I was gonna' do the cape. Anyway, my wife asks me what's wrong and I tell her and she says, "Oh, well why don't you just try this...?" I damn near fell off my chair! Anyway, thanks for you're feed back. It's always appreciated. I'm looking forward to doing the cape tutorial. Look for it here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow man, that Dr. Strange Rocks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING WORK!!! This is def my new favorite of your customs!!! The detail is truly wonderful, and the head is just perfect. I would really like to see a tutorial on the process of the cape as like you, capes are a real pain to try and find and get right. You hit the nail on the head with this one, and I am mesmerized with this piece. Again, amazing job!

    ReplyDelete